Writing SQL Queries for SQL Server Introduction
Table of Contents
SQL Queries Introduction Course Overview
Our Writing SQL Queries for SQL Server Introduction Training Course is designed for users who are new, or relative beginners, to the Structured Query Language (SQL) for databases. This course is specifically designed for users of SQL Server but can easily be structured for other Relational Database Management Systems.
Five Key Topics
- Mastering SELECT statements
- Using an alias
- Applying filters using the WHERE clause
- Creating Joins
- Using the SET operator
Training Course Details
Course Duration : 1 day
Course Availability : Monday – Saturday
Course Types : Group booking, 1-2-1 sessions, Bespoke & Public Courses
Training Times : Our courses run run from 09:30 to16:30, course registration 09:00 – 09:30, refreshments available throughout the day. A buffet lunch is available – please discuss with the team.
Facilities : A relaxed environment, air conditioned training rooms, note pads, pens and unlimited access to our online course materials.
Writing SQL Queries for SQL Server Introduction Training Course Details
Course Location : Face to face group / public & onsite training available. Virtual training courses available.
Class Size : As a guide we recommend class sizes to be no more than eight.
Virtual / Online training Format : Teams or Zoom.
Tailored Course Content : Our Writing SQL queries for SQL Server Introduction courses can be tailored to your requirements – Get In Touch
Tailored Courses : We offer a free consultancy service to help tailor the course to meet your requirements.
Centre and Services
Comfortable & modern facilities
Unlimited access to our online training manuals
Courses delivered by Certified Trainers
Microsoft and CPD courses available
Steve, one of our SQL trainers, has over 25 years of delivering SQL as well as Microsoft Office Suite to advanced levels.
All our trainers are encouraged to become Microsoft Accredited within their first year of working at Mouse Training.
Our instructors are very approachable, making the driest subject matter fun.
On Completion of Writing SQL Queries for SQL Server Introduction
- Understand the fundamentals of SQL
- Utilise all aspects of the SELECT Statement
- Build multiple single table SELECT Statements
- Use column and table aliases
- Working with expressions in a SELECT Statement
- Filter data using the WHERE clause
- Sort data using the ORDER BY clause
- Learn and fully understand the impact of NULL on your data and SQL statements
- Handle NULL values correctly in SELECT statements
- Join multiple tables to display data in a normalised database
- Create INNER and OUTER joins
- Understand the use of CROSS joins and SELF joins
- Gain an understanding of subqueries
- Make use of SET operators to return data
- Persist SQL Statements in a View
- Write action queries with INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE
Writing SQL Queries for SQL Server Course Outline
- The role of SQL
- Database fundamentals
- The example database
- Becoming familiar with SSMS
- Understand the structure of the SELECT statement
- Retrieving columns and expressions
- Using column aliases
- Filtering the results with WHERE
- Sorting the results with ORDER BY
- Examine the issues with NULL values
- Joining one, two, three and more tables
- Selecting data with the INNER JOIN
- Extracting data with OUTER JOIN
- Using table aliases
- NULLs in joined data
- Visualise a Self Join
- Discuss the Cross Join
- Create new records with the INSERT statement
- Modify existing data with the UPDATE clause
- Remove existing rows with DELETE
- Understand the rules for SET compatability
- Create SQL queries with SET operators
- UNION ALL
- Correlated vs Noncorrelated subqueries
- Subqueries in the FROM clause
- Subqueries in the column list
- Persisting SQL Statements in a View