Microsoft Power BI Mastering DAX Training Course
Table of Contents
Power BI Mastering DAX Overview
Our two-day Microsoft Power BI Mastering DAX training course gives you a deeper understanding of this powerful data manipulation language often described as “simple but difficult”. DAX is a simple language but it can be quite a challenge to do the calculations you actually need. However, once mastered, effective DAX formulas are the key to getting the most out of your data.
Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) is the native language for PowerPivot, Power BI Desktop and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).
Mastering DAX Five Key Topics
- A deeper understanding of how DAX works
- Using DAX to join and generate tables
- Control table relationships with DAX functions
- Understand filters and context
- Time Intelligence calculations
Training Course Details
Course Duration : 2 days
Course Availability : Monday – Saturday
Course Types : Group booking, 1-2-1 sessions, Bespoke and Public Courses
Training Times : Our courses run from 09:30 to 16:30, course registration 09:00 to 09:30, refreshments available throughout the day. A buffet lunch is available – please discuss with the team.
Facilities : A relaxed environment, air conditioned training rooms, note pads, pens and unlimited access to our online course materials.
Mastering DAX Training Course Details
Course Location : Face to face group/public and onsite training available. Virtual training courses available.
Class Size : As a guide we recommend class sizes to be no more than eight.
Virtual / Online training Format : Teams or Zoom.
Tailored Course Content : Our Power BI course can be tailored to your requirements – Get In Touch
Tailored Courses : We offer a free consultancy service to help tailor the course to meet your requirements.
Centre and Services
Comfortable and modern facilities
Unlimited access to our online training manuals
Courses delivered by Certified Trainers
Microsoft and CPD courses available
On completion of Microsoft Power BI Mastering DAX
- Essential DAX
- DAX Best Practices
- DAX Table and Filter Functions
- Calculated Table Joins
- Generating New Data
- Managing Relationships
- Iterator Functions
- Filter Context
- Date Dimension Tables
- Time Intelligence Calculations
- Examples with SUM, AVERAGE, COUNT, DISTINCTCOUNT
- Scenarios for FILTER, SELECTEDVALUE
- Ranking functions, TOPN etc.
- When to use the iterator functions, SUMX etc.
- Create filtered measures with CALCULATE
- Virtual tables
- Quick Measures
- Percent of Total with ALL, ALLSELECTED, ALLEXCEPT
- Safe DIVIDE calculations
- Managing Measures
- Measures for conditional formatting
- Use of DAX variables
- Entering Comments
- Using the BLANK function
- The use of Calculated Tables
- Creating a dynamic measure selection using SWITCH
- Physical vs Virtual Relationships
- RELATED vs LOOKUPVALUE
- Filter flow direction through relationships
- Accommodating different table granularities
- Review: Basic Iterators
- Iterator Cardinality
- Moving Averages
- Understand Filter Context
- Propagate filters through Context Transition
- Iterate with Row Context
- Automatic Date Tables
- Date Table Requirements
- Creating a custom Date Table
- Date Formatting
- Cumulative Total to Date calculations
- Year-on-year comparisons
- SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, PARALLELPERIOD, PREVIOUSQUARTER
- Fiscal years/quarters/weeks
- Special accounting periods
- Pro-rata view for incomplete trading periods
- Budget vs Actual comparison methodology
Is this Mastering DAX Course for You?
Give us a call, our admin team will be delighted to assist in making sure you are on the correct course.